Travis Pastrana Catches Serious Air In Gymkhana 2020
Today Ken Block, Travis Pastrana, Subaru, and the Hoongan team gave the internet an early holiday gift. Gymkhana is back but this time it’s Travis Pastrana behind the wheel of what I can only describe as an absolutely bonkers Subaru WRX purpose-built Gymkhana car.
The Gymkhana 2020 WRX has 862 horsepower and a full suite of custom made aerodynamic components. Each aero element was designed with the different elements of Gymkhana in mind: drifting, jumping, driving backwards, etc.
Heck, they even built a compartment in the driver door to store an underwater oxygen tank. You’ll see why when you watch the video below.
Speaking of, I’m going to go ahead and stop talking now so you can enjoy it. When you’re done watching you can check out a gallery, a full spec sheet of the Gymkhana Subaru WRX, and press release below.
[HOONIGAN] Gymkhana 2020 Travis Pastrana Takeover
Gymkhana 2020 photo gallery
Gymkhana 2020 Subaru WRX spec sheet
– Custom Vermont SportsCar 2.3-liter horizontally-opposed 4-cylinder SUBARU BOXER engine
– 862 bhp and 664 lb-ft torque
– Turbocharged and intercooled
– VSC billet block and billet heads
– Garrett Motorsports turbocharger
– Dry sump oil system
– VSC twin belt timing system with carbon fiber covers
– VSC inlet manifold and carbon fiber cover
– DLC coated camshafts
– Sodium-cooled valves
– VSC anti-lag system and turbo management
TRANSMISSION & DRIVE SYSTEM
– SADEV 6-speed sequential dog-engagement gearbox
– Custom driveshafts and propshaft
– Alcon triple-plate carbon racing clutch
– VSC carbon fiber gear lever
– VSC front differential
– SADEV rear differential
BODY & AERODYNAMICS
– Custom wind tunnel-tested carbon fiber wide-body
– Carbon fiber flat floor, skid plate and rear diffuser
– Carbon fiber multi-element rear wing with active upper wing element
– Polycarbonate front windshield
– VSC polycarbonate side and rear windows
– STI S209 carbon fiber roof
– STI competition LED tail lights
– Reiger competition suspension
– VSC tubular front and rear cross members
– VSC suspension arms and links
– VSC hubs and spindles
– Custom motorsport steering rack (11:1 Ratio)
– Motorsport high-flow power steering pump
SHELL PREP & SAFETY
– Production Subaru shell
– Custom FIA-specification T45 roll cage
– Lifeline ZERO275 multi chamber fire suppression system
– FIA FT3.5 Fuel Cell (35+ Liters)
– RECARO ProRacer SPG w/HANS (Head & Neck Restraint)
– Schroth Enduro Harnesses
– SPARE AIR, 3.0 cu. ft. reserve air tank recessed into driver side door
– SPARE AIR Extreme 6, 6.0 cu. ft. reserve air tank mounted behind driver seat
– 2623lbs (1,190kg) without driver
– VSC carbon fiber dashboard
– VSC carbon fiber door cards
– VSC carbon fiber driver footplate
– Cosworth driver digital display
– MoTec vehicle-status display
– Custom exhaust manifold
– 3D printed Inconel-alloy hood-exit exhaust
– Alcon 350mm front brakes
– Alcon 320mm rear brakes
– Endless brake pads ME20 RCP002
– VSC hydraulic handbrake
– Cosworth MQ12DI ECU
– Lightweight motorsport wiring loom
– Cosworth electronic power control module and switch units
– Cosworth data logger
– PWR radiator mounted in rear seat area
– Custom carbon fiber radiator ducting
– PWR front-mounted intercooler
WHEELS & TIRES
– Method Race Wheels 18” 502 Rally Series wheel
– Yokohama ADVAN A052
– Yokohama ADVAN Apex
– Engine oil: MOTUL 300V 20W60
– Transmission and differentials: MOTUL Gear Competition 75W140
SUBARU REVEALS GYMKHANA 2020: TRAVIS PASTRANA TAKEOVER, STARRING A PURPOSE-BUILT 862HP WRX STI
Subaru of America today launched its long-awaited return to the Gymkhana video franchise in partnership with Hoonigan, with Subaru Motorsports USA rally and rallycross star Travis Pastrana taking over the series from creator and rival Ken Block. Set in Pastrana’s hometown of Annapolis, Maryland, Gymkhana 2020 takes the series in a high-flying new direction and stars an 862-horsepower one-off WRX STI built by Subaru exclusively for the film. Along with the big slides and tire destruction that are typical of the Gymkhana franchise, Pastrana’s signature style and action sports background mean this installment features bigger jumps—and more raw speed—than any before it.
“Making my first Gymkhana video has been an incredible experience!” said Pastrana. “I’m so thrilled to finally have the chance to do it, especially in my hometown, so I could bring these ideas I’ve had for years to life. Plus, Subaru built me the perfect STI for it. It’s unbelievable how much power and grip this thing has, and it took all the punishment I could throw at it!”
With a mission to execute stunts unlike any seen in Gymkhana before, Pastrana’s STI was purpose-built by Subaru Motorsports USA and technical partner Vermont SportsCar drawing on the brand’s experience in rally, rallycross, hillclimbs and long-distance jumps. Starting from a production Subaru shell, the car was fully caged and lightened to just 2,623 pounds—over 800 pounds lighter than a stock STI—giving it a power-to-weight ratio of 3.0 lb/hp.
The wild-looking carbon fiber body panels were validated in the wind tunnel—a first for a Gymkhana build—to ensure stability in the air and generate maximum downforce on the ground, especially for the video’s high-speed road sequence. A DRS-style active rear wing allowed Pastrana to adjust the car’s attitude in midair for the video’s groundbreaking jump stunts.
Power comes from a motorsport-spec SUBARU BOXER engine displacing 2.3 liters and using a custom billet block and heads derived from the team’s rallycross program. The long-travel suspension, built with a huge range of adjustability to execute high-speed jump takeoffs and landings as well as super-precise proximity drifts, draws on decades of Subaru success in rally.
The Gymkhana STI features in the latest Hoonigan Build Biology episode and the build will be the subject of a two-episode miniseries wrapping up Subaru Launch Control Season 8, with the Gymkhana episodes set to debut in February 2021. An extended cut of Gymkhana 2020 will also be released next year.
You must log in to post a comment.