Up until about three days ago, Lewis Hamilton was having a pretty good year. He won his fourth Formula One championship this year, became an official spokesperson for Gran Turismo, and his social media channels were on fire.
Though as I mentioned, three days ago that social media fire turned into an uncontrolled burn. And now, it seems that Lewis’ Instagram account with nearly 6 million followers is a casualty.
So, what happened?
Well it started (as I mentioned) three days ago when Lewis posted a video on his Instagram account, hanging out with his young nephew. In the video his nephew was wearing a princess dress.
In a playful manner Lewis commented to his nephew that “boys don’t wear princess dresses”. You can see the moment in a video embedded below.
Now, I’m not going to jump into the raging hornet’s nest that is gender politics but I will say, in this day and age that just isn’t the kind of thing people say anymore.
It definitely isn’t a wise thing to say as a world famous personality on a social media account with 5.7 million followers.
Needless to say, Lewis was promptly attacked by the LGBTQ+ community about his comment and the whole thing spread incredibly quickly.
Lewis created a twitter thread apologizing for what he said:
And Boy George a prominent LGBTQ+ personality came to Lewis’ defense on twitter as well:
Let’s all give @LewisHamilton a break now. Far worse is said everyday by far worse people with far less style! Move. People make mistakes and that’s how they learn!
— Boy George (@BoyGeorge) December 27, 2017
Just moments before the writing of this post, it appears that every last post on Lewis Hamilton’s Instagram account has been removed.
UPDATE: As of today (12/30/17) it looks like Lewis has deleted all of his tweets from the last two months. Currently the most recent tweet on his twitter page is from October 29th, 2017.
At this point it is unclear as to the cause. Lewis could have done it himself out of shame or frustration; or he could have been the target of hackers who aren’t ready to forgive the 4-time world champion driver.
So far it appears that Lewis’ Twitter account is still in tact and as of now the most recent tweets are his apology for his comments.
Hopefully this mess does not lead to Lewis ditching social media for good due to internet trolls or over zealous individuals.
We’ll update you if anything changes.
In the meantime, what do you think about the situation? Were you offended by what Lewis said? Do you think people over-reacted? Do you think Lewis deleted his Instagram posts himself or do you think he was hacked? Let us know in the comments below or tweet to us at @MotorworldHype.