While normally this is the time that OEMs reveal teaser images for their SEMA builds, Scion is getting a Jump on the Auto Show season by revealing a teaser image of a new concept car that will make its debut at the 2015 LA Auto Show. As you may remember a few years ago Scion revealed the concept that eventually turned into the new iA and iM production cars and Scion has promised that it would be releasing several new cars over the next few years so this announcement is not much of a surprise.
However the mystery is what the heck this thing will end up looking like and ultimately becoming. I personally have no idea. But, I think I know what not to expect. Here is my short list of what this concept probably isn’t:
- It probably isn’t the future replacement for the FR-S. The FR-S is still selling like hot cakes as is. No need to refresh it yet.
- It probably isn’t another hatch back. Scion just released the iM which fills the hatch back slot in their line up.
- It is definitely not a time-machine. Only Delorean’s can do that remember?
OK, OK its easy to play it safe by guessing what I think this concept wont be so I will man up and make a few guesses at what it could be:
- It could be a cross-over SUV. Its something that Scion hasn’t done yet and would be appealing to their target audience, the “urban” individual.
- It could be a new front-wheel drive coupe. The Scion tC is pretty long in the tooth at this point. This is a good time to replace it with something new.
- It could be a plug-in hybrid or full electric car. Because, why not?
Obviously everything I’ve guessed on both sides could be totally wrong but speculation is fun! The world will find out with certainty what this concept really is once it gets closer to its debut at the LA Auto Show this year. Actually it will probably be before that during the obligatory before the “fill in the blank” auto show internet leak/reveal” period that happens before every major show.
Ether way, as soon as I know what it is I will let you guys know. In the meantime you can click the thumbnail for a larger version of the teaser image and/or you could read the incredibly short and vague press release below to see if you can CSI any hidden details.
What do you think this new Scion concept will ultimately end up being? Let us know in the comments or tweet to us at @MotorworldHype.
Third New Vehicle for Scion’s Youth BrandTORRANCE, Calif. (Oct. 6, 2015) – Following the recent introduction of the Scion iM 5-door hatchback and the sporty Scion iA sedan, the youth division of Toyota is preparing to further expand its lineup with a third all-new vehicle, beginning in 2017. The world debut of the next Scion concept will take place at the Los Angeles Auto Show, Nov. 18-19, 2015.
Scion continues to be the test laboratory division for Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc. From its start in 2003, Scion’s goal was to offer products and processes that stand apart from the crowd. Scion offers distinctive vehicles that reflect owners’ passions with a model line-up that includes the all-new iM five-door hatchback, the all-new iA sports sedan, the iconic xB urban utility vehicle, the tC sports coupe, and the FR-S rear-wheel drive sports car. Scion also appeals to a youthful audience by offering a simple, no-haggle buying experience and by engaging with potential customers in meaningful and creative ways. For more information, visit www.scion.com.