Fanatec makes some of the most high-end and expensive racing wheel peripherals and they really got famous by making replicas of real life steering wheels from cars like Porsche 911s for use on Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 consoles. Today they are announcing that another wheel will be available and it is likely to be incredibly expensive and rightly so. You see, Fanatec is offering up the first prototype of their new CSR Elite unit with a special F1 style wheel rim attached for auction on eBay. What will set this particular wheel apart from their other products is the simple and awesome fact that it is autographed by two-time Formula One World Champion Sebastian Vettel while he visited the Goodwood Festival Of Speed a short while ago.
Starting on September 30th through October 7th the signed wheel will be up for auction on eBay as part of an effort to raise money and awareness for an organization called “Wings for Life“, an organization that funds research projects targeted to help find cures for spinal injuries. It should also be noted that Wings for Life is supported by other Red Bull driver/athletes like Vettel’s teammate Mark Webber and David Coultard. So, in short the winning bidder gets a one of a kind wheel, signed by a one of a kind talent, all for a more than worthy cause. That sounds like a million kinds of awesome does it not? The only very very slight downside is that the auction is open to European bidders only so if you live here in the states you will unfortunately not get a shot at the wheel. Although that should not stop you from donating to Wings for Life or other worthy causes. Sure, you might not get an autographed video game wheel but you will make a difference, which is a hell of a lot better in the long run.
Fanatec wheel signed by Sebastian Vettel to be sold at auction in aid of Wings for Life UK
The item will be available for online auction on eBay on September 30th.
Landshut, Germany – 12.09.2012 – Endor AG is proud to announce that it will be auctioning the CSR Elite with the Formula rim autographed by the famous Formula One racing driver: Sebastian Vettel. The auction will be held on eBay on September 30th, 6pm (CEST) until October 7th, 6pm (CEST) and open to European bidders. All the proceeds will be donated to the charity Wings for Life UK.
Wings for Life fund cutting-edge research projects and clinical trials across the globe aimed at accelerating progress towards a cure for spinal cord injury. The charity also facilitates the development of technology designed to reduce the risk of injury, particularly during sport. Through their research, Wings for Life provide hope to the thousands of people affected by spinal cord injury around the world.
During the last Goodwood Festival of Speed, the Formula 1 pilot visited the Red Bull Gridsters and signed the very first prototype of the Fanatec CSR Elite with Formula rim. The rim features 11 buttons and two (mirrored) 4-way joysticks. This is a robust metal construction with metal shifters paddles just like on the Formula rim for ClubSport Wheel. The grips are made of artificial leather, which provides a great feeling and is easy to clean.
- Multiplatform: Xbox 360 / PC / PlayStation® 3.
- Wireless connection to Xbox360 and USB cable to connect to PC and PS3.
- DirectSensor™ technology: the sensor is mounted directly on the steering axis to avoid interference and performance issues that are inherent in belt and gear drives that have motor mounted sensor systems.
- Strong and fast120W dual force feedback motors plus 2 vibration motors in the wheel rim.
- Large silent fans are installed to provide ample cooling.
- Newly designed belt drive mechanism that’s made completely of metal and uses high quality ball bearings and German made belts to deliver the smoothest, most precise force feedback on the market.
- Tuning functions with LED display that allows players to adjust the turning angle (90° to 900° of steering rotation), force feedback, vibration, sensitivity, with the ability to save up to five pre-sets.
- Five ‘Drift mode’ adjustments to allow quicker turning ratio.
- Compatible with standard pedals (with clutch), ClubSport, CSR Elite and CSR pedals. With an adapter, it can be used with the Logitech® G25 / G27 pedals.
More details with URL of the auction will follow.