With aluminum framed fixed gear bikes being all the rage Audi has decided to collab with Renovo Bicycles to create something totally left field of the trend. The bike you are looking at has a frame that is made completely out of …wood! Yes that is correct, wood! It turns out that wood is actually one of the best materials to make a bike frame from. The wood’s properties let it absorb shock better than any other material which improves the ride comfort and the type of wood used by Renovo is actually only 1/4th the weight of aluminum per cubic inch. Add some exclusive accessories and Audi branding for a few extra cool points and you’ve got yourself a unique bike that will make those hipsters with the fixies break their necks.
Mar 31, 2011 , HERNDON, Va.
Audi brings progress and innovation to two wheels with launch of duo hardwood bicycles
• Audi teams up with Renovo Hardwood Bicycles to create the exclusive duo bicycle
• The duo features a monocoque hardwood frame and mirrors elements of Audi cars
• Available in three models to suit any cyclist – City, Sport and Road
Audi of America today announced that it has teamed up exclusively with Renovo Hardwood Bicycles, the only all-hardwood bike manufacturer in the world, to create the duo – an Audi-inspired bicycle collection that embodies the best of both worlds: luxury and performance. An evolution of the ongoing Audi commitment to progressive ideas, the duo serves as both a work of art and a mode of transportation that blends beauty and craftsmanship with performance and technology.
The all-new duo bicycle from Audi features a monocoque frame made of hardwood. Wood offers the smoothest ride of any bike frame material thanks to its superior ability to absorb shock and vibration. Since the weight per cubic inch of wood is about one-fourth the weight of aluminum, the duo is lighter than most bicycle frames, while offering equal or superior stiffness, durability, and toughness. Unlike other mainstream frame materials, and reflecting the Audi commitment to sustainability, the duo is also recyclable and biodegradable. Audi is the first automaker to recognize the benefits of, and offer a bicycle made from, wood.
Audi is also the first automaker to offer a bicycle, not as a design exercise or a mere rebadging of a commonplace bicycle. Instead, Audi is launching the duo as an embodiment of its core principles of progressive innovation that also blends craftsmanship and styling with performance and technology.
The duo features innovative drive train components such as a belt drive, aluminum and carbon fiber components, disk brakes and LED lighting, as well as woods selected to match the look of Audi vehicle interiors. Hand-made one by one at Renovo’s Portland, Ore., studio, the Audi duo is lightweight, strong, durable and smooth, and available in three models to suit different cycling styles and needs, including:
• duo City – A cafe/leisure bike, urban explorer and all-weather commuter; the most approachable bike for casual cyclists. Features include an upright position for short distances, comfort and traffic vigilance; wide puncture-resistant 32mm tires; LED lights; fenders; rack; The duo City drivetrain features the smooth, quiet and grease-free Gates CenterTrack belt drive coupled to the Shimano Nexus 8-speed internal hub gear, for effortless and maintenance-free shifting. Price: $6,530*
• duo Sport – A fitness, long-distance all-weather commuter, perfect for cyclists seeking long-distance comfort and safety. The Sport drivetrain features the smooth, quiet and grease-free Gates CenterTrack belt drive coupled to the Shimano Alfine 11-speed internal gear hub, for effortless and maintenance-free shifting. Other features include drop bars for long distances; minimum fenders; medium width and puncture-resistant 28mm tires for less rolling resistance. Price: $7,350*
• duo Road – A performance road bike, good for club and century rides. Features include narrow tires; no fenders; minimal accessories; and SRAM Red, compact 20-speed gear train. Price: $7,460*
*Prices are all-inclusive, including shipping & handling.
Photos and further information are available at http://www.audi-collection.com/duo
Audi of America, Inc. and its U.S. dealers offer a full line of German-engineered luxury vehicles. AUDI AG is among the most successful luxury automotive brands globally. During 2010 Audi was the top performing luxury brand in Europe, and broke all-time company sales records in the U.S. Over the next few years, AUDI AG will invest nearly $16 billion on new products and technologies. Visit www.audiusa.com or www.audiusanews.com for more information regarding Audi vehicle and business issues.
Although the world’s first wooden bicycles were introduced over 200 years ago, Renovo Design is the first, and only, bicycle manufacturer to develop the technology that delivers the advantages of wood in a lightweight, fully monocoque (hollow) frame. Renovo melds state-of-the-art computer-driven design and manufacturing with hands-on craftsmanship to produce frames whose superior ride quality, durability and stealth-quiet ride transcend frames of conventional materials. Renovo bikes are prized worldwide for their stunning appearance and remarkable performance. Visit renovobikes.com for more information.